In addition to being a first-call and in-demand bandleader, record producer, concert performer and studio musician, Terrence Brewer has established himself as one of the San Francisco Bay area's foremost music educators. For 15+ years Brewer has been a private lesson instructor, master class instructor, clinician, lecturer, music workshop facilitator, and presenter to students of all ages, skill levels, and musical styles.
"One of the most important aspects, of all music traditions, is the passing on of that tradition — educating — teaching — spreading the knowledge — it's essential to the continued growth of all musical styles. For me, educating, presenting, sharing what I've learned and observed, continues to be an important part of my journey. I was blessed to have amazingly passionate teachers who helped shape me into the musician/educator I am today and I want to give that same love of music to as many others as I can." ~Terrence Brewer
- Developed Curriculum/Lead Presenter/Facilitator, for SFJAZZ' acclaimed "Jazz In The Middle" 8th grade program. "Jazz In The Middle" is a five-day presentation that, in a hands-on manner, illustrates the birth and evolution of Blues and Jazz through 200-plus years of American history.
- Lead Presenter/Facilitator/Performer, for SFJAZZ' Acclaimed "Jazz In Session" program. The Jazz in Session (JIS) program collaborates with San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) schools to strengthen existing music programs through hands-on clinics and professional development for band directors and administrators. JIS brings professional musicians into schools to lead ensemble sessions and work directly with students in both an individual/sectional lesson setting and with the band as a group.
- Master Clinician/Instructor/ Facilitator for SFJAZZ – Middle School and High School students.
- Developer/Presenter/Lecturer/Facilitator for SFJAZZ; "History of Jazz Guitar"; a five-presentation program showing, in a hands-on manner, the evolution of jazz guitar. The program takes jazz guitar from the early delta blues players though the be-bop/post-bop pioneers like Wes Montgomery through the fusion players like Scofield, McLaughlin, and Metheny, and culminating with modern day players like Russell Malone who incorporate all of those styles.
- Developer/Presenter/Lecturer/Facilitator for SFJAZZ; "History of Jazz Guitarist Wes Montgomery"
- Presenter/Lecturer/ Facilitator for the San Francisco Public Library; the "History of Jazz"
- Educator/Presenter/Instructor/Performer for the acclaimed Lafayette Summer Music Workshop"Summer Jazz Workshop"
- Educator/Presenter/Instructor/Performer for prestigious Jazz Camp West jazz immersion program
- Educator/Presenter/Instructor/Performer for the California Jazz Conservatory "Summer Youth Workshop"
- Educator/Presenter/Instructor/Performer for The Blue Bear School of Music
- Educator/Presenter/Instructor/Performer for Stanford Jazz Workshop
- Guest/Featured Artist/Clinician/Performer/Mentor for the following institutions:
- Los Medanos College
- Chabot College
- Santa Rosa Jr College
- San Francisco University High School
- CMEA (California Music Educators Association)
- Edna Brewer Middle School
- The Nueva School
- Booker T. Washington Community Center
- Musically Minded Academy
- Piedmont Piano Company Music School
- Raoul Wallenberg High School
Areas of Applied Teaching Skill
- Music Business
- Jazz Harmony (All Levels)
- Jazz Theory (All Levels)
- Jazz Improvisation (All Levels)
- Jazz Composition
- Jazz Chord Accompaniment (Comping)
- Jazz History
- Jazz Guitar History
- Jazz Combo/Small Group Mentoring/Facilitating
- Jazz Big Band Mentoring/Conducting/Facilitating
- General Music Harmony (All Levels)
- General Music Theory (All Levels)
- Rhythm Training (All Levels)
- Applied Theory
- Ear Training
- Music Nomenclature
- Chord Nomenclature/Naming Convention
- Practice Techniques
- Flat-Picking (Plectrum)
- Solo Guitar Chord Melody Creation
Guitar Technique Styles